Description of the course
This course is a training program for ship's Masters and navigational officers, navigation equipment service engineers and/or technicians who are involved or wish to be involved into adjustment of ships’ magnetic compasses.
Objectives of the course
Those who successfully complete this course should be able to demonstrate sufficient knowledge, skill and understanding of Compass adjustment and practical use this in real navigational situation.
- Introduction including legal aspects and requirements;
- Assessment of safe distances of navigational and other equipment ;
- Earth and Ship’s magnetism;
- Effects of permanent, sub permanent and induced magnetism;
- Compass design, general principles with special reference;
- The various types of magnetic compass;
- Accuracy limits of results obtained;
- Methods of detecting mechanical errors in compasses at sea;
- Checking accuracy of instruments used in connection with compasses;
- Principle of compass adjustment and compass adjustment at sea;
- Compass deviation calculations;
- Preparation of magnetic compass deviation card.
Duration of the training course
The duration of the training course is 2 days.
The price is 590 Eur per person.
Trainees wishing to enter this course should have 6 months experience at sea as Nautical Officer or navigation equipment Electronic Service Engineers and Technicians.
Training approaches and equipment:
- Online or on-site training is available;
- Practical tasks are conducter in duscussion groups and online platforms where participants have access to publications and materials;
- Theoretical lessons are given using webinars in Zoom platform and PowerPoint presentation;
- Compass adjustment is demonstrated through a HD camera on Magnetic Compass with possibility for participants to coordinate the process.
The maximum number of participants – 6 persons per one group.
Support service for compass adjustmentSupport service for the newly trained compass adjuster to carry out proper magnetic compass adjustment for 3 (three) vessels. Includes mobile and online assistance in adjustment process, preparation of deviation card and other operational aspects of magnetic compass.
- Scope: 3 vessels
- Price: 1500 EUR