The OPITO approved Banksman & Slinger Stage 1 Initial Training (Code 9067) Standard specifies the Initial Training Programme for personnel wishing to become competent in the Banksman & Slinger role in the oil and gas industry.
Objectives of the course
The aims and objectives of Banksman & Slinger Stage 1 Initial Training Programme are to provide personnel, who have little or no experience of the Banksman & Slinger role, with the basic knowledge of activities associated with the combined roles, and the safety and regulatory requirements of those activities.
The Initial Training Programme allows the delegate to demonstrate basic Banksman & Slinger practical skills following instruction and demonstration by the training staff. This Training Programme aims to prepare the delegates for the next stage of the progression path to becoming a competent banksman & slinger i.e. Stage 2: supervised workplace experience.
Offshore Petroleum Industry Training Organization (OPITO)
Course contents1. Introduction to Lifting Operations
2. The Banksman’s Role
- Regulations and safety issues
- Introduction to lifting roles and equipment
- Preparing for the lift
- Carrying out the lift
- Restoring the work area
3. The Banksman’s Role
- Banksman duties
- Communications and visibility
Principles of slinging4. Practical Exercises
- Lift Plan Free access lift – Electrical Motor
- Lift Plan Free access lift – Single steel tube
- Lift Plan Restricted access lift – Lifting of Container 20 Ft
- Lift Plan Restricted access lift – Bundle of steel
- Lift Plan Load with offset centre of gravity – T-s
- Lift Plan Load with offset centre of gravity – L-s
- Lift Plan Blind lift – Valve with frame
- Lift Plan Blind lift – Scaffold tubes and boards
Duration of the training course
The duration of the training course is 3 days.
The price is 900 EUR per person.
Training approaches and equipment:
- Theoretical tasks with presentations and visualizations
- Practical exercises in interactive workbooks
- Practical exercises using real life equipment
- Appropriate PPE (e.g. safety helmets, safety boots, eye protection, gloves, high visibility vest & high visibility gloves)
- Mobile crane
- Hand held radio set for banksman and crane operator
- Ratchet straps, chain, fibre or wire slings
- Appropriate lifting appliances and accessories
- Tag lines
- Variety of items to be lifted
- Professional instructors with industry experience
Course limitations:The course ratio are:
Minimum 3 participants.
- Theory - 12 participants on 1 instructor
- Practice- 6 participants on 1 instructor
Description of the course