The target group for OPITO Banksman and Slinger Initial Training (Code 9067) Standard is personnel wishing to become competent in the Banksman & Slinger role in the energy industry.
Course Aim and Objectives
The aim and objectives of Banksman and Slinger Initial Training Programme are to provide the learner with the basic knowledge of activities associated with the combined Banksman and Slinger roles, and the safety and regulatory requirements of those activities.
The Initial Training Programme allows the learner to demonstrate basic Banksman and Slinger practical skills, following instruction and demonstration by the training staff. This Training Programme aims to prepare the learners for the next stage of the progression path to becoming a competent banksman & slinger i.e. Banksman and Slinger Workplace Experience Logbook.
Offshore Petroleum Industry Training Organization (OPITO)
Course contentsUNIT 1 – An Introduction to Lifting Operations and the Role and Responsibilities of the Banksman and Slinger (Load Handler)
UNIT 2 – Lifting Operations by Crane
- Element 1: Relevant Legislation and Regulations;
- Element 2: Hazard Identification and Controls;
- Element 3: The Role of the Banksman and Slinger;
- Element 4: Communications and Visibility.
UNIT 2 – Lifting Operations by Crane (Practical)
- Element 5: The principles of lifting operations by crane;
- Element 6: Introduction to Lifting Equipment and Accessories;
- Element 7: Planning for Lifting Operations by Crane.
- Element 8: The principles of lifting operations by crane;
- Element 9: Carrying out the lifting operation;
- Element 10: Restoring the work area and post-operation responsibilities.
- Exercise 1: Lift Plan Free access lift – Electrical Motor;
- Exercise 2: Lift Plan Free access lift – Single steel tube;
- Exercise 3: Lift Plan Restricted access lift – Lifting of Container 20 Ft;
- Exercise 4: Lift Plan Restricted access lift – Bundle of steel;
- Exercise 5: Lift Plan Load with offset center of gravity - T-s;
- Exercise 6: Lift Plan Load with offset center of gravity - L-s;
- Exercise 7: Lift Plan Blind lift – Valve with frame;
- Exercise 8: Lift Plan Blind lift – Scaffold tubes and boards.
Duration of the training course
The duration of the full training course is 3 days.
The price is 900 EUR per person.
Certificate is valid 2 years.
Training approaches and equipment:
- Theoretical tasks with presentations and visualizations;
- Group workshops;
- Case studies;
- Practical exercises in workshops;
- Practical exercises using real life equipment;
- Professional instructors with industry experience.
The course ratio are 12 participants.
Description of the course
- All Banksman and Slinger Initial Training participants shall be medically fit and capable of fully participating;
- Medical screening: Completion of a self-declaration of medical fitness form.