Description of the course
This training course primary is intended for existing seafarers who has done full Basic Safety training course and are going to take or already hold certain positions on board ships.
Course contentsThe Training course covers the following topics:
- Introduction, safety and principles;
- Areas of fire hazard;
- Dry distillation;
- Chemical reactions;
- Fires in water-tube boilers;
- Tactics and procedure of fire control while ships is at sea;
- Tactics and procedure of fire control while ships is in port;
- Tactics and procedure of fire control while ships is carrying dangerous goods;
- Tactics and procedure of fire control for oil, chemicaland gas tankers;
- Use of water for fire extinguishing, the effect on stability, precautions and corrective procedures;
- Communication and co-ordination during fire-fighting operations;
- Ventilation control including smoke extractor;
- Control of fuel and electrical systems;
- Fire precautions and hazards associated with the storage and handling of material (paints etc.);
- Management and control of injured persons;
- Procedures for co-ordination with shore-based fire fighters;
- Preparation of contingency plans;
- Composition and allocation of personnel to fire parties;
- Training of seafarers in fire-fighting;
- Fire control plans;
- Organization of fire and abandon ship drills;
- Strategies and tactics for control of fires in various parts of the ship;
- Fire alarms;
- Fire detection equipment;
- Fixed fire-extinguishing equipment;
- Fire main, hydrants, hoses, nozzles and pumps;
- Portable and mobile fire extinguishing equipment including appliances; • Firefighter’s outfits and other personal protective equipment;
- Rescue and life support equipment;
- Communication equipment;
- Requirements for statutory and classification surveys;
- Fire investigation and reporting;
- Trainee’s experience of fires on ships;
- Documented reports on fires on ships and lessons learned.
Objectives of the course
In this course the participants will be competent to take command, organize and train fire parties and control fire-fighting operations. The seafarers will have acquired knowledge of fire prevention and an ability to inspect and service fire detection and extinguishing systems and equipment. They will also be able to investigate and report on incidents involving fire.
The course complies all requirements of the STCW Convention Chapter VI, Sections A-VI/3 and Table A-VI/3 of the SCTW Code, as well as covers all subject areas recommended by IMO Model course 2.03 “Advanced Training in Fire Fighting”.
The course is certified by Latvian Maritime Administration.
Training approaches and equipment:
During training course theoretical lessons are given using PowerPoint presentations, practical tasks are conducted using different equipment: building for smoke and fire drills breathing apparatus, fire trays, hydrants, hoses nozzles, different type of portable extinguishers, firefighting outfits, etc.
To be assigned on Advanced Fire Fighting training course, participant should present national passport and Basic Safety training course Certificate.
Certificate is valid 5 years.
The price is 350 EUR.
Duration of the training course
The duration of the Advanced Fire Fighting training course is 3 working days.