Description of the course
This training course primary is intended for existing seafarers who has done Basic Safety training course and been at sea at least 6 months.
To be assigned on Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats other than Fast Rescue Boats training course, participant should present national passportand Basic Safety Certificate.
Course contentsThe Training course covers the following topics:
- Introduction, safety and principles;
- General (Emergency situations, training, drills, operational readiness etc.);
- Abandon ship;
- Survival craft and rescue boats;
- Launching arrangements;
- Evacuation and recovery of survival craft and rescue boats;
- Actions to take when clear of the ship;
- Lifeboat engine and accessories;
- Rescue boat outboard engine;
- Handling survival craft and rescue boats in rough weather;
- Actions to take when aboard a survival craft;
- Methods of helicopter rescue;
- Radio equipment;
- First aid;
- Drills in launching and recovering boats;
- Drills in launching liferafts;
- Drills in launching and recovering rescue boats.
Certificate is valid 5 years.
The price is 260 EUR.
Duration of the training course
The duration of the Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats other than Fast Rescue Boats training course is 3 working days.
Objectives of the course
In this course the participants will be competent to operate life-saving appliances and take charge of a survival craft or rescue boat during or after launch. They will also be able to operate a survival craft engine and manage survivors and survival craft after abandoning ship. The participants will know the correct use of all locating devices, including communication and signaling apparatus and pyrotechnics, how to apply first aid to survivors and the actions to take to preserve the lives of those in their charge.
The course is complies all requirements of the 1978 STCW Convention Chapter VI, Section AVI/2 and Table A-VI/2-1of SCTW Codeas amended, as well as covers all subject areas recommended by IMO Model course 1.23 “Proficiency in SurvivalCraft and Rescue Boats other than Fast Rescue Boats”.
The course is certified by Latvian Maritime Administration.
Training approaches and equipment:
During training course theoretical lessons are given using PowerPoint presentations, practical tasks are conducted using different equipment: liferafts, liferaft davit, lifeboat and launching davits, rescue boat, fast rescue boat, first aid kit, and helicopter pick-up, radio equipment, lifeboat’s equipment etc.