Description of the course
This course provides training for masters, chief engineers, officers and any person with immediate responsibility for the loading, discharging and care in transit or handling of cargo. It comprises a specialized training programme appropriate to their duties, including oil tanker safety, fire safety measures and systems, pollution prevention, operational practice and obligations under applicable laws and regulations. The course takes full account of section AV/1 of the STCW Code adopted by the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers, 1978, as amended.
Objectives of the course
A trainee successfully completing the course should be able to take immediate responsibility for loading, discharging and care in transit or handling of cargo on oil tankers.
Course contentsThe Advanced Training for Oil Tanker Cargo Operations covers the following topics:
- Physical and chemical properties of petroleum;
- International and national legislation affecting oil tankers;
- Oil tanker construction, systems and equipment;
- Pump theory and characteristics. Cargo pump types;
- Safety culture and safety management on tankers;
- General safety precautions, safety systems, ESD system;
- General stability concepts in relation to design factors. Free surface effect;
- Plan for port arrival. Ship/Shore tanker safety checklist;
- Gas measuring instruments. Operating principles, accuracy and limitations;
- Cargo work responsibility onboard tankers;
- Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS);
- Potential negative effects in case of violation of international and national legislation;
- Personal safety on oil tankers. Safe working practice;
- Oil Tanker cargo operations;
- Cargo measurement and cargo calculation;
- Hazards associated with oil tanker operations. Hazard control;
- Oil tankers emergency procedures;
- Marine environment pollution prevention procedures;
- Actions in case of collision and grounding. Respond to marine spills;
- First-aid procedures on oil tankers;
- Assessment and Discussion.
Duration of the training course
The duration of the Advanced Training for Oil Tanker Cargo Operations is 5 working days.
The price is 540 EUR.
Certificate is valid 5 years.
Income requirementsTo be assigned on Advanced Training for Oil Tanker Cargo Operations, participant should present:
- National passport;
- Seamen’s book;
- National license or educational diploma;
- “Oil and Chemical tanker familiarization” training course certificate approved by the Administration, in accordance with STCW Code A-V/1-1-1 standards requirements; or
- “Oil, Chemical and Liquefied gas tanker familiarization” training course certificate approved by the Administration, in accordance with STCW Code A-V/1 p.2-7 standards requirements, which were in force until 31 December 2011.
The maximum number of participants – 24 persons.
Training approaches and equipment:
During training course theoretical lessons are given using PowerPoint presentations, for practical exercises participants can be placed into groups of six or eight people.
The course covers all subject areas recommended by IMO Model Course 1.02 “Specialized Training for Oil Tankers”, taking into account all STCW Convention Manila Amendments.
The course is certified by Latvian Maritime Administration.