Description of the course
This training program is intended for individuals who are directly responsible for the loading, discharging, and transportation of cargo, as well as those involved in cargo handling on oil tankers. The course fully complies with the requirements set forth in Section A-V/1 of the STCW Code, which was adopted by the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers in 1978 and subsequently amended.
Objectives of the course
Upon successful completion of this training course, a trainee should possess the necessary knowledge, skills, and competence to assume immediate responsibility for the safe loading, discharging, and care in transit, or handling of cargo on oil tankers. This includes a comprehensive understanding of the characteristics and hazards associated with oil cargoes, along with the relevant regulations and codes governing their transportation. The trainee will also be able to identify and assess potential risks and take appropriate measures to mitigate them, ensuring the safe and efficient transportation of oil cargoes.
Course contentsThe Advanced Training for Oil Tanker Cargo Operations covers the following topics:
- Physical and chemical properties of petroleum;
- International and national legislation affecting oil tankers;
- Oil tanker construction, systems and equipment;
- Pump theory and characteristics. Cargo pump types;
- Safety culture and safety management on tankers;
- General safety precautions, safety systems, ESD system;
- General stability concepts in relation to design factors. Free surface effect;
- Plan for port arrival. Ship/Shore tanker safety checklist;
- Gas measuring instruments. Operating principles, accuracy and limitations;
- Cargo work responsibility onboard tankers;
- Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS);
- Potential negative effects in case of violation of international and national legislation;
- Personal safety on oil tankers. Safe working practice;
- Oil Tanker cargo operations;
- Cargo measurement and cargo calculation;
- Hazards associated with oil tanker operations. Hazard control;
- Oil tankers emergency procedures;
- Marine environment pollution prevention procedures;
- Actions in case of collision and grounding. Respond to marine spills;
- First-aid procedures on oil tankers;
- Assessment and Discussion.
Duration of the training course
The duration of the Advanced Training for Oil Tanker Cargo Operations is 5 working days.
The price is 450 EUR.
Certificate is valid 5 years.
Income requirementsTo be assigned on Advanced Training for Oil Tanker Cargo Operations, participant should present:
- Valid identity document (passport/ID card);
- Seaman's book (included 3 months sea service on OIL tankers);
- National Licence of Officer (COC);
- “Oil and Chemical tanker familiarization” training course certificate approved by the Administration, in accordance with STCW Code A-V/1-1-1 standards requirements;
- Oil/Chemical Basic certificate of Proficiency.
The maximum number of participants – 24 persons.
Training approaches and equipment:
This course provides a comprehensive approach to learning, combining classroom lectures and presentations with hands-on training on the Liquid Cargo and Ballast Handling Simulator. The course includes written practical tasks, group work, demonstrations, and presentations.
The course covers all subject areas recommended by IMO Model Course 1.02 "Specialized Training for Oil Tankers", taking into account all STCW Convention Manila Amendments.
The course is certified by Latvian Maritime Administration.