Description of the course
This training course is designated for every seafarer who has done full GMDSS General Operator’s course and is going to be in charge of or perform radio duties on a ship required to participate in the GMDSS.
Objectives of the course
After successful completing this course the participant will be able to efficiently operate the GMDSS equipment and to have primary responsibility to radio communications during Distress incidents.
Course contentsThe General Operator’s Refresher training course covers the following topics:
- Principles of Maritime Radio communications;
- Principles & Basic Features of the Maritime Mobile Service;
- Principles & Basic Features of the Maritime Mobile Satellite Service;
- Global Maritime Distress & Safety System, DSC mode;
- Purpose & Use of VHF, MF/HF DSC Facilities;
- Device NBDP;
- Cospas-Sarsat System;
- EPIRB Cospas-Sarsat;
- VHF Portable;
- Terrestrial ship station equipment;
- Fault location;
- English Language;
- Distress Traffic;
- GMDSS Radio Log Book;
- Involvement of human in error chain.
Duration of the training course
The duration of the General Operator’s Refresher training course is 4 working days.
The price is 498 EUR.
Certificate is valid 5 years.
Income requirementsTo be assigned on the General Operator’s Refresher training course, participant should present:
- Certificate of Competence in accordance with STCW Convention, as amended, Chapter II/1, II/2 or II/3,
- GMDSS General Operator’s Certificate of Competence in accordance with STCW Convention, as amended, ChapterIV/2;
- Approved sea service of at least 12 months during the last 5 years or 3 months during the last 6 months
The maximum number of participants – 8 persons.
Training approaches and equipment:
During training course theoretical lessons are given using PowerPoint, practical tasks arebased on real scenariosand conducted using following equipment: real SAILOR GMDSS for A3 area and GMDSS TRANSAS TGS4100 simulator.
The course complies with all requirements of the STCW Convention, as amended, Chapter IV, Section A-IV/2 of the SCTW Code, as well as covers all subject areas recommended by IMO Model course 1.25 “General Operator’s Certificate for the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System”.
The course is certified by Latvian Maritime Administration.