The Operational Use of Automatic Identification System (AIS) course covers the following topics:AIS system concepts
A basic description of AIS at a systems level:
- AIS objectives of the Organization;
- System concepts, Comparison of AIS with radar.
Detailed description of AIS data at a user level including safety/security related messages, AIS Aids to Navigation and AIS Binary Messages.AIS ship installations
AIS configuration description, including:
Use of AIS at sea
- Carriage requirements, MKD based configuration, Radar/ECDIS configuration; • Overview of operational problems caused by installation issues.
The safe use of AIS at sea:
- Bridge procedures, Data input and checking, UN/LOCODES, Use of safety and security related messages;
- Use of AIS Binary Messages, Use of AIS in areas with security or piracy implications;
- Use of AIS in oil terminals, AIS alarms, Cautions
- of use of AIS;
- Use of AIS to increase situational awareness in for both MKD only and radar/ECDIS installations.