Description of the course
This training course primary is intended for Masters, Chief Officers and mates who are engaged or going to be engaged in ice navigation.
Objectives of the course
A trainee successfully completing this course will be able to use ECDIS for his navigational watch. Those who successfully complete this course should be able to demonstrate sufficient knowledge, skill and understanding of ECDIS navigation and electronic charts to undertake the duties of a navigational watch officer defined by STCW Code, as amended. The program meets the latest requirements of STCW Convention and IMO Model Course 1.27 “The operational use of electronic chart display and information systems”.
The course is approved by Latvian Maritime Administration.
Course contentsThe course covers the following topics:
- Introduction: Legal aspects and requirements;
- Use of ECDIS advantages;
- Correct and incorrect use of ECDIS;
- Familiarization with ECDIS system;
- Basic ECDIS navigation;
- ECDIS data;
- Chart layout;
- Sensors and data feed;
- Selection of charts;
- Chart settings;
- Chart layers;
- System alarms;
- Safety alarms;
- Route planning techniques;
- Checking and setting the route;
- Route monitoring;
- Voyage planning;
- Radar overlay and AIS information;
- Ordering and updating charts;
- Data management;
- Use of ECDIS for safe navigation.
Duration of the training course
The duration of the training course is 4 days.
The price is 610 EUR.
Certificate is unlimited.
Entry StandardsTrainees wishing to enter this course should have:
- Certificate of Competence as officer in charge of a navigational watch and should present appropriate diploma/certificate according STCW II/1, II/2 or II/3; or
- Evidence that is in progress studying on the educational program of Officer in Charge of an Navigational Watch;
- Certificate of Radar Navigation, Radar Plotting and Use of ARPA course according to STCW A-II/1 standard.
Training approaches and equipment:
During training course theoretical lessons are given using PowerPoint presentations, practical tasks are conducted on Transas NT Pro 5000 ECDIS simulator with the latest software version installed.
The maximum number of participants – 9 persons.