Description of the course
This training course primary is intended for existing seafarers who are going to provide medical first aid on board ship.
To be assigned on Medical First Aid training course, participant should present:
- Valid identity document (passport/ID card);
- Seaman’s book;
- Basic Safety Training certificate.
Course contentsThe Training course covers the following topics:
- Introduction and immediate actions;
- Medical first aid kit;
- Body’s anatomy and physiology;
- Patient inspection;
- Head and spinal injuries;
- Burns, scalds and frostbites;
- External assistance;
- Toxical hazards;
- Medical care for rescued persons;
- Psychological/psychiatric problems;
- Disease prevention, sterilization.
The price is 390 EUR.
Duration of the training course
The duration of the Medical First Aid training course is 3 working days.
Objectives of the course
In this course the participants will be competent to identify probable cause, nature and extent of injuries promptly, completely and conforming to current first-aid practice, minimize risk of harm to self and other at all times, appropriately treat injuries and patient’s condition and conform to recognized first-aid practice and international guidelines.
The course complies with all requirements of the STCW Convention, as amended, Chapter VI, Sections A-VI/4 and Table A-VI/4-1 of the SCTW Code, as well as covers all subject areas recommended by IMO Model course 1.14 “Medical First Aid”.
The course is certified by Latvian Maritime Administration.