Description of the course
This course provides training to candidates to be duly qualified under Section A - V/1-2 of the STCW code with specific duties for loading, unloading and care in transit or handling of liquefied gas cargoes. It comprisesa basic training programme appropriate to their duties, including liquefied gas tanker safety, fire safety measures, pollution prevention, operational practice and obligations under applicable law and regulations. The course covers the competence require- mentsasgivenin the tableunderSectionA-V/1-2-1of theSTCW Code adopted by the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping for Seafarers, 1978 as amended in 2010.
Objectives of the course
A trainee successfully completing the course should be able to perform basic duties and responsibilities related to cargo or cargo equipment on board liquefied gas tankers.
Course contentsThe Basic Training for Liquefied Gas Tanker Cargo Operations covers the following topics:
- Liquefied Gas tankers;
- Physical and chemical properties of liquefied gas cargoes;
- Safety culture and safety management on tankers;
- Cargo operations;
- Hazards associated with tanker operations;
- Hazard control;
- Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS);
- Gas measuring instruments. Operating principles,
- Personal protection and safety equipment;
- Personal safety on liquefied gas tankers.
- Safe working practice;
- First-aid procedures from Material Safety Data Sheets;
- Emergency operations and actions in case of fire;
- Specific hazards associated with the transportation of liquefied gases;
- Gas fire extinguishing media;
- Fixed foam fire extinguishing system;
- Portable fire-fighting foam equipment;
- Fixed dry powder fire extinguishing system;
- Marine pollution prevention during fire-fighting operations;
- Shipboard emergency procedures and emergency stop of cargo operations;
- Marine pollutant exposure hazards to ship personnel and marine organisms;
- Marine environment pollution prevention procedures; Respond to marine spills;
- Assessment and Discussion.
Duration of the training course
The duration of the Basic Training for Liquefied Gas Tanker Cargo Operations is 4 working days
The price is 650 EUR.
Certificate is valid 5 years.
Income requirementsTo be assigned on Basic Training for Liquefied Gas Tanker Cargo Operations, participant should present:
- National passport;
- Seamen’s book;
- “Basic Safety” training course certificate approved by the Administration, in accordance with STCW CodeA-VI/1 standards requirements.
The maximum number of participants – 24 persons.
Training approaches and equipment:
During training course theoretical lessons are given using PowerPoint presentations, for practicalexercises participants can be placed into groups of six or eight people.
The course covers all subject areas recommended by IMO Model Course 1.04 “Basic Training for Liquefied Gas Tanker Cargo Operations”, taking into account all STCW Convention Manila Amendments.
The course is certified by Latvian Maritime Administration.