Description of the course
This training program is intended for individuals with specific duties related to the loading, unloading, care in transit, or handling of liquefied gas cargoes on board liquefied gas tankers. The course fully complies with the requirements of Section A-V/1-2 of the STCW Code, which was adopted by the International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification, and Watchkeeping for Seafarers in 1978 and subsequently amended.
Objectives of the course
Upon successful completion of this basic gas tanker training course, a trainee should possess the necessary knowledge, skills, and competence to carry out basic duties related to the safe loading, discharging, and care in transit or handling of liquefied gas cargoes on board liquefied gas tankers. This includes a fundamental understanding of the characteristics and hazards associated with liquefied gas cargoes, as well as relevant regulations and codes governing their transportation. The trainee will also be able to identify risks and take appropriate measures to mitigate them, ensuring the safe and efficient transportation of liquefied gas cargoes. This course provides a foundation for further specialised training and experience required to assume greater responsibilities on board liquefied gas tankers.
Course contentsThe Basic Training for Liquefied Gas Tanker Cargo Operations covers the following topics:
- Liquefied Gas tankers;
- Physical and chemical properties of liquefied gas cargoes;
- Safety culture and safety management on tankers;
- Cargo operations;
- Hazards associated with tanker operations;
- Hazard control;
- Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS);
- Gas measuring instruments. Operating principles, accuracy and limitations;
- Personal protection and safety equipment;
- Personal safety on liquefied gas tankers. Safe working practice;
- First-aid procedures from Material Safety Data Sheets;
- Emergency operations and actions in case of fire;
- Specific hazards associated with the transportation of liquefied gases;
- Gas fire extinguishing media;
- Fixed foam fire extinguishing system; Portable fire-fighting foam equipment;
- Fixed dry powder fire extinguishing system;
- Marine pollution prevention during fire-fighting operations;
- Shipboard emergency procedures and emergency stop of cargo operations;
- Marine pollutant exposure hazards to ship personnel and marine organisms;
- Marine environment pollution prevention procedures; Respond to marine spills;
- Assessment and Discussion.
Duration of the training course
The duration of the Basic Training for Liquefied Gas Tanker Cargo Operations is 4 working days.
The price is 350 EUR.
Certificate validity is unlimited.
Income requirementsTo be assigned on Basic Training for Liquefied Gas Tanker Cargo Operations, participant should present:
- Valid identity document (passport/ID card);
- Seamen’s book;
- “Basic Safety” training course certificate approved by the Administration, in accordance with STCW CodeA-VI/1 standards requirements.
The maximum number of participants – 24 persons.
Training approaches and equipment:
This course provides a comprehensive approach to learning, combining classroom lectures and presentations. The course includes written practical tasks, group work, and demonstrations.
The course covers all subject areas recommended by IMO Model Course 1.04 “Basic Training for Liquefied Gas Tanker Cargo Operations”, taking into account all STCW Convention Manila Amendments.
The course is certified by Latvian Maritime Administration.